We hope to see you this Friday for our Grand Reopening celebration from 5 to 9pm. Our new home is located in the Alley Shops at the beautiful Bauer Building located at 115 W. 18th Street. The shop is tucked away on the back side of the building, up a cute little staircase. It’s easily accessible from both W. 18th street and W. 19th so feel free to park on either side. The Bauer was our first home and we are so honored to return. The shop looks perfect and we can’t wait to share it with you all. If you’ve been to our old space then the street will be very familiar to you. Just travel to W. 18th street like you always did, find the Bauer Building on the other side of the street and then follow the yellow stones painted on the sidewalk. We are also easily accessible to Papa Keno’s pizza patio, so there are really good free smells. Also, we’re even closer to Mildred’s than before which was an unexpected perk. See you at the party!
I don't usually go shopping, but when I do, I endeavor to either, A: Support a local artisan or maker by spending my money on handmade, high-quality pieces of clothing; or B: purchase used or vintage apparel. It's a blend of high and low that keeps me from supporting 'fast fashion' (I won't get into it here, but if you are interested in learning more about the political aspects of apparel, there is no shortage of depressing information out there about how environmentally taxing, damaging and wasteful this practice of consumerism is).
If you are also interested in supporting sustainable fashion, I've put together a guide for how to support some wonderful shops and creators here in Kansas City! Check it out!
- Hadley - I have loved designer Hadley Clark's exquisite garments for years. Hadley recycles beautiful materials made from natural fibers (such as silk kimonos and African indigo textiles) and creates the most beautiful and comfortable pieces, I feel like an actual High Priestess when I wear her clothes! It's also worth noting that Hadley is offering sewing lessons, workshops and textile tune-ups in her shop to educate and empower others to repair and tailor pieces they already own for their personal wardrobe. She's an incredible artist and her activism through apparel is badass! You should follow her instagram account if you don't already, you won't be sorry.
- Donnas Dress Shop - This shop is a jewel in Kansas City! I have found more treasures at Donna's than I can count, my favorite, one-of-a-kind, vintage pieces have all been found here! Donna and her staff are also super supportive of local artists and designers, Donna's Dress shop is always hosting pop-ups and creative events - it's a treat to visit her delightful shop! Aaaaand, if you are like me and are mostly a mole person who rarely leaves her hermit cave, do yourself a favor and follow Donna's awesome instagram account - no joke, the last three purchases I made there were because of her instagtam photos!
- We Are Sincerely Yours - Danielle Meister has created a charming boutique with hand-selected vintage items, one of a kind jewelry, TADEJ leather goods and beautiful Hadley Clark original pieces. Danielle's affinity for natural fibers, interesting textures and timeless design make her apparel offerings so special, and, she often collaborates with my other favorite vintage seller, Wunderhub Vintage! Danielle and Leslie both utilize instagram to reveal new finds and sales, so I highly recommend following them here and here.
Just a friendly reminder that something really, REALLY awesome is happening at Oracle this weekend! This Saturday, November 26th (also Small Business Saturday, just sayin') Tyler Thrasher is bringing over lots of new crystalized work and will be giving an artist talk about his process and the importance of staying curious!! We are so excited to have him back, I mean look at these:
Tyler Thrasher will be giving a casual talk with Q & A at 5:00 PM on Saturday, November 26th at Oracle (130 West 18th Street, KCMO 64108) followed by a pop up exhibition of his newest crystalized work and fine art prints from 6:00 PM-9:00 PM! To see more of Mr. Thrasher's work, visit his website and follow him on Instagram to see his newest endeavors!
See you there!!
S'up Lovelies! I pulled some cards for the week, let's do this:
- Seven of Wands - This is a card of courage, it shows up in readings - not to denote a confrontation - but to strengthen your resolve in meeting the challenges that are coming to you. You can defend your beliefs without being defensive, and you will have the support you need.
- Two of Swords - This card is all about balance and stabilization. It also shows up in readings to herald a time for peace following confusion or conflict. You are being asked to calm your mind, to feel grounded in the choices you have made and to make your own sanctuary (mentally and spiritually speaking), this self awareness allows you to move forward and make progress.
- The Fool - Our buddy the Fool here always turns up when we make a new beginning or journey. He represents innocence, starting along a new path in which enlightenment is the only goal. This is about fresh starts, renewed energy and second chances.
My first reaction to this reading when I pulled it was a sarcastic, 'Ohhhhhhh. Oh, NO SHIT, TAROT'.
I don't think it would surprise any of you (*cough* the four of you who read this *cough*) that I pulled a card marking a call for courage during a time of conflict and challenge; and right on it's heels, a call for stability and peace - served with a huge helping of self-awareness and self-governance; and then here comes the Fool strolling up to remind us that we have a fresh opportunity to make things right, to start over - and hopefully, in spite of ourselves, not fuck things up so bad this time around. Seems pretty clear, eh?
Anyways, that's my take. Let's have a week, shall we? Happy Turkey and/or Tofurkey Day!!
*These three card readings are intended for us all as a community and are therefore broad. If you are interested in a more specific, in-depth reading - we offer individual readings at Oracle as well! If you would like to schedule an appointment for an individual reading, you can do that here or give us a ring at 816.982.9550. You can also join us for one of our monthly Tarot Workshop & Happy Hour events and learn more about cartomancy!
We are BEYOND excited about this - Tyler Thrasher is coming to KC this Friday, June 24th for a meet up at Oracle!! This exhibit, The Traveling Alchemist, consists of crystalized insects, shells, and skulls created by Thrasher, as well as prints of his work for sale. We have long been huge fans of his work - a delicate marriage of science and art resulting in impossibly beautiful, unique pieces. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet the artist, to see his fantastic artwork in person - and to add a piece to your own art collection!
Please join us at Oracle this Friday, June 24th, 5pm-8pm to meet artist Tyler Thrasher see his work, The Traveling Alchemist - you don't want to miss this!!
To see more of Tyler Thrasher's work, visit his site, here.
NUMEROLOGY HAPPY HOUR - JUNE 21ST, TUESDAY 4:30-6:30 - $10
We are having our Numerology Happy Hour on Tuesday, June 21 at 4:30-6:30 pm! Our resident Potions Master, Carrie Parker will be offering numerology readings during the Hour of Happy! Bring your friends, It's going to be fun, y'all - come say hi, have a refreshment and get your *numerology on! You can sign up here on in person at our shop - see you there!
Oracle is located at 130 West 18th Street, KCMO 64108
*But what IS numerology, you may be asking (it's okay, I had to ask too)?
Well, Numerology is the study of numbers and the occult manner in which they reflect certain aptitudes and character tendencies as part of the greater, cosmic plan. The sum of the numbers in your birth date and the sum value derived from the letters in your birth name provide particular vibrations. Similarly, each phonetic letter has a numeric value that provides a related cosmic vibration. All of these numbers combine to reveal a great deal about a person's character, purpose in life, what motivates them and where their talents may lie.
In short, it's another way to gain some self-introspection - which I find always washes down a little easier with cocktails and friends!
You can pre-purchase here!